Summit Academy OIC has an exciting opportunity for a professional to coordinate activities at the Best Buy Teen Tech Center.
The Best Buy Teen Tech Center, established with the support of The Clubhouse Network, offers young people (ages 10 to 18) from inner-city neighborhoods the opportunity to work on projects they find meaningful to their lives, using computers and technology. This is a new initiative at Summit Academy OIC. The program provides support and resources for young people to pursue their interests and build upon their talents. In the Teen Tech Center, youth can design their own music, art, newsletters, robots, science simulations, computer games, and animation. This position will provide community outreach to involve a diverse group of young people, parents, teachers and community leaders in the program.
Essential Functions are listed below.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Help Teen Tech Center members develop projects (e.g., help them come up with ideas, gather materials, get started, locate mentors to work with them, and support their ongoing work).
- Recruit, train, and support volunteer mentors, ensuring they work effectively with youth.
- Work closely with the local Best Buy store to recruit Geek Squad Agents and Blue Shirt volunteers.
- Support youth in planning for the future, including pursuing academic and job opportunities that leverage their Teen Tech Center skills and experience.
- Provide basic computer maintenance, including file management, trouble-shooting, and technical support to Teen Tech Center youth and mentors.
- Provide administrative support for the Clubhouse program, including keeping records of participants and keeping the Tech Center space organized.
- Assist "parent" organization in fund-raising and publicity for the Best Buy Tech Center, communicating the Clubhouse learning philosophy, goals, and results to external sources.
- Participate in the The Clubhouse Network, attending Network meetings, sharing ideas and issues, and supporting collaborative projects across sites.
- Support other programs and activities of the "parent" organization with Teen Tech Center expertise and resources, as time permits.
- Leverage Best Buy National Partner relationships to expose members to skill development and media training.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications include the following:
Experience with computers and interest in technology as a creative and empowering tool;
Demonstrated ability to reach out to youth, parents, educators, and community leaders;
Interpersonal skills, including an ability to get along with people of diverse backgrounds and abilities and a talent for making people feel welcome and included;
A passion for learning and helping others to learn;
Excellent organizational skills.
This is a full-time position offering a competitive benefits program and salary.
It is a excellent opportunity to be part of a great organization that is making a huge difference in the lives of many people in the Twin Cities. If you want to be a difference maker, you should consider this job if you meet the qualifications.